Electronic Check Transactions (setup)
This help topic explains how to setup Electronic Check Processing in Total Office Manager. The Electronic Check feature allows you to accept Checks as payment and get those payments authorized using an internet connection. Setting up or changing processors may be required before Total Office Manager can accept Electronic Checks. You will need to have your own Merchant account as Total Office Manager cannot provide this for you.
You will need the following before this feature will work for you.
- A Merchant Account (usually includes a payment gateway and processor).
- Constant Internet connection (like cable or DSL). Modems will not work with Total Office Manager. The internet connection must be “always on”.
- A Card Not Present Gateway account with Authorize.net will need to be established with E-Check services included. If you have questions about obtaining a payment Gateway including E-Check services please click the link below or contact Authorize.net at 801-492-6507 for a dedicated representative or 866-437-0476 for the main sales line. Please be sure to mention that you are working with a reseller and already have our link to the online application.
To apply for a Payment Gateway through Authorize.net please read through the additional instructions and then click the link below.
- After clicking the link, you will be taken to the online application home page. Before you can access the application, you will need to create an account by clicking the Create Login ID button. Simply enter your email address and create a password. Once you are finished, click Login Now. You will be taken back to the online application home page where you can then sign in and begin the application process.
- During the application process, you will need to either sign up for a merchant account, or provide specific information on your existing merchant account. If you need help finding this information, please call your assigned sales representative at the phone number listed below.
- If you have questions regarding any page or section of the application, please click the Help link located in the upper right hand corner of any application page. These help files are extremely useful and should answer any questions you have.
http://www.authorize.net/files/echecknetapplication.pdf (E-Check Services)
- From the main menu click Customers | Electronic Transaction | Gateway List
- To add a new payment gateway, click the button to Add New.
- Enter the Transaction Key and Login ID information as supplied by Authorize.net.
- Select a default E-Check Type from the drop down. If you are unsure what this would be you will need to contact Authorize.net or review your E-Check application. (Please note based off the Gateway Account type and services, Total Office Manager only uses WEB or PPD as the E-Check type for a Bank Account type of Checking. If the Bank Account type is Business Checking the E-Check type should be CCD).
Field and Button Definitions
- Name – The gateway you use to connect to the credit card processor that authorizes the transaction. Your bank will give you this information when you apply for a Merchant Account.
- Transaction Key – Provided by your Gateway or Merchant Account Bank. This is case sensitive.
- Login ID – Like a user name, this information is provided by your Gateway or Merchant Account Bank. It is case sensitive.
- Bank Account – The bank account you want the Electronic Check transactions to be deposited to once they are approved.
- Notes – Just FYI and not required.
- Display Info on CC Transaction Form – When checked, the Electronic Check Transaction Key and Login ID will be displayed on the E-Transaction form.
- Test Mode – When checked, transactions will not actually be authorized. No money will actually be exchanged. This is useful for training purposes. Electronic Check processes are simulated without the actual check being processed. Use this function with caution.
- Gateway Web Address – The web address of your Payment Gateway. Total Office Manager works with Authorize.net for the gateway.
- Go – The Go button takes you to the website of the Gateway above.
- Prearranged Payment and Deposit Entry (PPD) – This E-Check Type transaction type is a one-time or recurring charge against a customer checking or savings account. PPD Transactions may only be originated when payment and deposit terms between the merchant and the customer are prearranged.
- Internet-Initiated Entry (WEB) – This transaction type is a one-time or recurring charge against a consumer checking or savings account and for which payment authorization was obtained from the customer via the internet.
- Cash Concentration or Disbursement (CCD) – This transaction type is a one-time or recurring charge against a business checking account. CCD transactions are fund transfers to or from a corporate entity.
Your first step is to setup your payment gateway. This is the internet host that handles your electronic check transaction. The following instructions apply precisely to payment gateway Authorize.net. If you are not sure if your existing gateway will work with Total Office Manager, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- From the main menu, click Customer | Electronic Transaction | Gateway List. The “CC Payment Setup list” will open. This is used for both Credit Card and Electronic Check Transactions.
- Click the Add New button to create a new Credit Card Gateway.
- Enter a name for the gateway you are setting up.
- Enter your Transaction Key and Login ID. If you do not know your login information, you can access this by logging into your Authorize.net account and going to the Account Info section.
- Select the default E-Check type. Please refer back to the Form Access section explaining the E-Check types if you are unsure what goes here. Please note this is a default and can be changed at the point of processing an Electronic Check Transaction.
- Select the Total Office Manager bank account that the Electronic Checks are to be deposited to. When you setup your merchant account, the application would have asked you for the bank account name and account number. This is what you are selecting in Total Office Manager. You may also select to group these payments with the other Un-Deposited Funds.
- Enter any notes or comments in the Notes field. This is not required.
- Check the Display Info on the Credit Card Transaction Form check box if you wish for this information to be displayed to other Total Office Manager users when they are processing Electronic Check payments. You can always change this setting later.
- Enter the Gateway Web Address if you wish. This step is not mandatory but may be helpful.
A written, commercial bank account established by a contractual agreement between a merchant/business and a bank and/or a payment gateway. The agreement contains the respective rights, warranties, and duties with respect to accepting bankcards like Visa or MasterCard. You must apply for this account directly from your bank, or from the Payment Processor.
A combination of software and hardware that provides an interface to a bank card processing network.
Gateway Web Address
The web address of a web based payment gateway.