This help topic explains how to setup Credit Card Processing in Total Office Manager. The Credit Card feature allows you to accept Credit Cards as payment and get those payments authorized using an internet connection. Setting up or changing processors may be required before Total Office Manager can accept Credit Cards. You will need to have your own Merchant account as Total Office Manager cannot provide this for you.
You will need the following before this feature will work for you.
- A Merchant Account (usually includes a payment gateway and processor).
- Constant Internet connection (like cable or DSL). Modems will not work with Total Office Manager. The internet connection must be “always on”.
- A Card Not Present Gateway or Card Present Gateway account with Authorize.net will need to be established. If you do both over the counter sales along with on-site sales then you may need both Gateway Account types. If you have questions about obtaining a payment Gateway please click the link below or contact Authorize.net at 801-492-6507 for a dedicated representative or 866-437-0476 for the main sales line. Please be sure to mention that you are working with a reseller and already have our link to the online application.
To apply for a Payment Gateway through Authorize.net please read through the additional instructions and then click the link below.
- After clicking the link, you will be taken to the online application home page. Before you can access the application, you will need to create an account by clicking the Create Login ID button. Simply enter your email address and create a password. Once you are finished, click Login Now. You will be taken back to the online application home page where you can then sign in and begin the application process.
- During the application process, you will need to either sign up for a merchant account, or provide specific information on your existing merchant account. If you need help finding this information, please call your assigned sales representative at the phone number listed below.
- If you have questions regarding any page or section of the application, please click the Help link located in the upper right hand corner of any application page. These help files are extremely useful and should answer any questions you have.
- From the main menu click Customers | Electronic Transaction | Gateway List
- To add a new payment gateway, click the button to Add New.
- Enter your login information as supplied by Authorize.net.
Field and Button Definitions
- Name – The gateway you use to connect to the credit card processor that authorizes the transaction. Your bank will give you this information when you apply for a Merchant Account.
- Transaction Key – Provided by your Gateway or Merchant Account Bank. This is case sensitive.
- Login ID – Like a user name, this information is provided by your Gateway or Merchant Account Bank. It is case sensitive.
- Bank Account – The bank account you want the Credit Card transactions to be deposited to once they are approved.
- Notes – Just FYI and not required.
- Display Info on CC Transaction Form – When checked, the CC Processor Transaction Key and Login ID will be seen by Total Office Manager users.
- Test Mode – When checked, transactions will not actually be authorized. No money will actually be exchanged. Useful for training purposes. Credit Card processes are simulated without the actual card being charged. Use this function with caution. (While credit card’s aren’t actually processed, payments ARE processed for the Invoices, affecting A/R)
- Gateway Web Address – The web address of your Payment Gateway. Total Office Manager works with Authorize.net for the gateway.
- Go – The Go button takes you to the website of the Gateway above.
Your first step is to setup your payment gateway. This is the internet host that handles your credit card transaction. The following instructions apply precisely to payment gateway Authorize.net. If you are not sure if your existing gateway will work with Total Office Manager, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- From the main menu, click Customer | Electronic Transaction | Gateway List. The “CC Payment Setup list will open. This is used for both Credit Card and Electronic Check Transactions.
- Click the Add New button to create a new Credit Card Gateway.
- Enter a name for the gateway you are setting up.
- Enter your Transaction Key and Login ID. If you do not know your login information, you can access this by logging into your Authorize.net account and going to the Account Info section.
- Select the Total Office Manager bank account that the Credit Card funds are to be deposited to. When you setup your merchant account, the application would have asked you for the bank account name and account number. This is what you are selecting in Total Office Manager. You may also select to group these payments with the other Un-Deposited Funds.
- Enter any notes or comments in the Notes field. This is not required.
- Check the Display Info of the Credit Card Transaction Form check box if you wish for this information to be displayed to other Total Office Manager users when they are processing credit card payments. You can always change this setting later.
- Enter the Gateway Web Address if you wish. This step is not mandatory but may be helpful.
Processor (AKA: Credit Card Processor)
A third party vendor who will process the Credit Card payments submitted through Total Office Manager.
A written, commercial bank account established by a contractual agreement between a merchant/business and a bank and/or a payment gateway. The agreement contains the respective rights, warranties, and duties with respect to accepting bankcards like Visa or MasterCard. You must apply for this account directly from your bank, or from the Payment Processor.
A combination of software and hardware that provides an interface to a bank card processing network.
Gateway Web Address
The web address of a web based payment gateway.