Item Category List
The Item Category List is used to setup and manage the item categories in an organization. Item categories allow for the logical grouping of like Items. For example, a computer service company might have item categories for motherboards, cases, and memory. An HVAC service company might have categories for motors, thermostats, and A/C condensers. Item categories can be extremely useful when using the Inventory Replenishment feature of the program, as well as for certain item related reports.
From the main menu, click Company > Lists > Item Category List.
- To create a new item category, right click anywhere in the list and choose New Item Category from the pop-up menu.
- To edit an item category, right-click on it and choose Edit Item Category from the pop-up menu.
- To delete an item category, right-click on it and choose Delete Item Category from the pop-up menu. Note: It may not always be possible to perform this action — inactivation may be more appropriate.
- To inactivate an item category, right-click on it and choose Make Item Category Inactive from the pop-up menu. This can also be done by ticking the “Inactive” checkbox within a record itself.
- To export whatever information is currently displayed in the list, right-click anywhere in the list and choose Export List from the pop-up menu.
Creating a New Item Category
Create a new item category as follows:
- Right click anywhere in the Item Category List and choose New Item Category from the pop-up menu. The Add Item Category form will appear.
- Enter a title for the new category in the “Category Name” field.
- If the item category is a “sub” or “child” of another existing category, choose the “parent” category from the “Subcategory of” field. For example, a computer service company may create a parent department called “Memory” and setup subcategories for “DDR” and “DDR2”.
- Click OK to save and close the form, Cancel to abort the action, or Next to save and add another.