User Defined Fields (UDF)
User Defined Fields allows for the creation of custom fields specific to your organization. For example, if you want to track customer birthdays, you can create a UDF to do just that. A user defined field can be set to display on only one or any combination of Customer:Job Forms, Employee Forms, Vendor Forms, Asset Forms, Service Agreement Forms, Equipment Forms, Sales/Invoice Forms, and Work Orders. UDF’s are searchable by using the Advanced Search tool.
User Defined Fields are also capable of being “masked”. Masking is simply a means to ensure data is entered in a uniform format in UDF’s. For example, masking can be used to ensure phone numbers are entered in the format (800) 555-1212 instead of 800-555-1212 or any other format.
From the main menu, click Company | Lists | User Defined Fields List.
Perhaps the easiest way of using the commands available in this list is through it’s right click menu.
- To create new UDF, right click anywhere in the list and choose New User Defined Type from the pop-up menu.
- To edit a UDF, right-click on it and choose Edit User Defined Type from the pop-up menu.
- To delete a UDF, right-click on it and choose Delete User Defined Type from the pop-up menu. Note: It may not always be possible to perform this action — inactivation may be more appropriate.
- To export whatever information is currently displayed in the list, right-click anywhere in the list and choose Export List from the pop-up menu.
Creating a New Customer Type
- Right click anywhere in the Customer Type list and choose New User Defined Type from the pop-up menu. The “Add User Defined Type” form will appear.
The Add User Defined Type Form
- Enter a name for the UDF in the “Description” field.
- If required, create a new mask or select and existing mask using the “Edit Mask” field.
- Tick the checkboxes for each form on which the new UDF should appear.
- Adjust the sequence in which the UDF will appear by using the “Order” field.
- Click the OK button to finish and close the form, or click the Next button to save and go on to create another. The Copy button is used to create a new UDF based upon an existing UDF.